Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Book Report!



I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned it but I love reading.  I used to read a fair amount, but since getting my e-reader 2 years ago, I've been devouring books non-stop.  This year I took the Goodreads challenge and set a goal of 52 for 2016.  (I read 37 for my 35 goal last year.)
I am a huge fan of the Toronto Public Library and its millions of books available for free for e-readers.  It is the reason I chose to get one in the first place. 
(This also means that book photos mean stealth adventures at the bookstore at the mall...!)

Here are some thoughts on books I've read lately. Please let me know if you've read anything good! I'm always looking for new choices.

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee - I have loved this book since I first read it in 9th grade.  For a while I was planning to name my future non-existent child Atticus or Scout.  Rereading it was a nice reminder of why I loved the book so much in the first place.

Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee - This is the follow-up novel to To Kill A Mockingbird.  The book picks up decades later, with Scout as an adult returning to her hometown.  Maybe it was because I had finished reading the first installment immediately before but I did find this book spent most of its time rehashing the original novel's plot.  It also came with a dose of reality that left me broken-hearted.  I won't spoil it by saying more, but if you read it, don't do them both back to back.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - I don't know why it took me so long to read a book by this iconic Canadian author.  My original impression of her work was completely misguided.  I had always thought that Atwood would be in the same category as a Jane Austin or Bronte sister, which doesn't really  engaged me.  But! This book was bleak dystopian novel! Is it weird that that makes me so excited?  I could not put this book down and I owe Margaret Atwood an apology - which includes reading all of her novels.

Shopaholic to the Rescue by Sophie Kinsella - I have been with this series since the beginning.  The original book was fabulous and I identified all too well with Becky.  These days though, I feel like Kinsella is just going through the motions.  The characters aren't evolving, the premise of each book is generally the same, and the appeal has faded.  I don't think I'll read any more of these books unless something gets rave reviews down the line.

The Blonde by Anna Godbersen - This book was a total random pick from my library recommendations.  It is part Marilyn Monroe fan-fiction and part spy thriller.  Without giving too much away, Marilyn has some Russian friends.  It's an interesting work, but it did leave me feeling uneasy.  Is it fair to write a fictional book about someone who actually existed?  If you've read it, I'd love to know what you think.

With Every Letter by Sarah Sundin - This book was free from the Kobo website.  It is set in WWII, featuring a nurse and an Army engineer writing anonymous letters to each other.  This is an easy, quick read with more will-they-won't-they than Ross & Rachel or Jim & Pam.  Overall it was fun, and I think it is part 1 of a series.



If you want to see what else I'm reading, check out Goodreads.


No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for leaving a comment! i love to know what you think :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails