Tuesday, January 26, 2016

A Mad Men Party - Finally!!

I can't believe it was the summer of 2007 when I first saw AMC's trailer for the upcoming Mad Men series.  One look at the costumes and set design and I was hooked.  About 3 minutes later I wanted to throw a Mad Men theme party.  Fast forward a while... I finally squeezed in a party on the night before the finale.

We also got a new couch a few months prior, and it fits the bill pretty perfectly. 

I had a lot of fun making the food for this party.  I have a small stash of vintage magazines, so I used recipes straight out of the 60's .  Change is a good thing - especially when it comes to avocado based dips.  No that is not guacamole! It is avocado and mayo and it was a sad waste of a delicious perfectly ripe avocado.  *sob
The deviled eggs, cheese ball and french onion soup dip were fairly classic.  But on the sweet side were these gems: pineapple rings surrounded by Jello, and ambrosia salad.  
Steve spent a solid chunk of time mixing drinks.  
We offered Tom Collins, the Blue Hawaiian, Old Fashioned and Mint Juleps.  
These fake ciggies were absolutely worth the effort.  They're the breadsticks that come in Handi-snack packs, dipped in white chocolate then red sprinkles and served in a thrifted ash tray complete with ash made from sugar crystals.  They were delicious and also added that extra element to everyone's photo poses, haha.
One of the things I love most about my friends is their willingness to participate.  Maybe my prize for best costume would have influenced things, but there were some great outfits.

It was a great night and I'm so happy! Better late than never!



No comments:

Post a Comment

thank you for leaving a comment! i love to know what you think :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails