Monday, October 1, 2012

Count to 30 - #17. TIFF

Here's #17 in my set of 30 lists.

My best moments at TIFF!
(In case you aren't aware, I recently worked at the Toronto International Film Festival, which was awesome.)

 1.  The truly best thing was getting to work with such great people.  I spent a LOT of time with my coworkers in 12 days, and thankfully they were fabulous.  We had a great time.

2.  I went to Tim Hortons one morning, and while I was in line, was standing behind a man who looked very familiar.  It took a second to sink in, then we made eye contact and smiled,  I knew he was an actor.  The problem was that I couldn't place him or think of his name.  (Or I would have asked for a pic)  Blame it on my 530 am wake-up.
I got back to work and told my coworker we had a game to play - "Name the actor whose name I don't know and can't think of his films either.  He looks a little bit like Kevin Spacey but is more handsome and clean cut."
Thankfully the IMDB is the greatest website on the internet.  It helped me to find out that I ordered breakfast alongside Clark Gregg - I would best know him from 500 days of summer, having not watched the Avengers until this week.

3.  Getting to read Variety magazine and the Hollywood Reporter every day for free and while at work.

4.  Watching people get so excited over seeing stars on the red carpets.

5.  Seeing stars on the red carpets.  ;)
I saw Billy Bob Thornton, Robert Duvall, Gwenyth Paltrow, Mark Ruffalo, Tim Robbins, and really wanted to see Joseph Gordon Levitt but did not.

 6. I got to see a lot of great films, including: Argo, Ausgustine, Arthur Newman, The Brass Teapot, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Sessions, Love Marilyn, The Deep, Hannah Arendt, Tower, and Jump.

7.  L'oreal was a sponsor and had a promo building set up for the festival.  If you went and gave your name and email, you got to choose a free full size product.   My coworker and I didn't find out until the last day that we were allowed in once a day.  We had gone a few times, but were changing hairstyles and coats and feeling guilty about it! Lol.  In the end I got nail polishes, mascara, hairspray, BB cream and a lipstick for free.  Pretty good.

8.  On one of the first days of the festival I was walking along John street on a break and a VIP shuttle was driving beside me.  There were also people chasing the car in the middle of traffic.  In the backseat I saw the the long locks and more handsome than expected face of Mr Johnny Depp.  I reached into my purse for my cell phone, raced to get to the camera app and tried to snap a pic of him in the car.  This is what I got. Lol.
Apparently Mr Depp has the ability to erase all of my photography skills.  But in the end I think this is a lot more funny and a better memory.  Lol, the power of celebrity.

9.  Speaking of celebrity, my co-worker Nicole Fairbairn is an actress and had a film playing at TIFF!  It was a lot of fun to get the behind the scenes scoop from her as well as going to see her up on the big screen.   She's super talented.

10.  Taking my good friends Katy, Elizabeth and Amanda to see films with the tickets I booked.  It was a highlight to have such lovely company to see and discuss great movies.

11.  Talking to random film-lovers in the lines for TIFF.  There was some time spent in line when rushing films, or waiting to be seated in the theatres, and the film crowd of Toronto is very diverse and interesting.  It was genuinely nice to chat with random strangers about which films they'd seen, what they'd recommend and how many years they've been going to TIFF.   Faith in humanity and its good taste restored.

12.  I also have a rekindled love with Toronto.   It's a huge city of millions of people, and sometimes can feel like you're just a speck.  But during the festival I saw a lot of community, of cultural appreciation, and general excitement to be living in such a vibrant place.  Toronto has a lot to offer, and I need to soak it up while I can and am here.

13.  The premiere of The Perks of Being a Wallflower.  I hadn't read the book and didn't have any expectations for this movie, but booked 2 tickets to it because it was the world premiere.  I have to tell you, it blew me away.  The cast and crew were at the screening and Emma Watson sat 6 seats over from me.  It was directed by the author of the book, which is really rare and clearly was a wise choice, as the film was truly as great as it deserved to be.  The audience was in tears and gave a standing ovation, and then got to ask questions after it finished.  I am so happy that I was able to be there.  I really need to read this book.

14.  I had a lot of early mornings during the festival.   Early as in waking up before the sun.  But the nice part about this was that I saw some stunning sunrises on those days.

15.  I was able to attend the closing night party for the film A Song for Marion.  It was themed around the British movie, with mini parcels of fish & chips,  shepherds pie served in a pie crust spoon, and tiny servings of strawberry shortcake.  So cute!
I had fun with Maggie, enjoying music from a choir and a dj, and of course the free cocktails and champagne.

16.  Working with the many many volunteers.  There are over 2000 volunteers that help make TIFF happen every year.  I met only a fraction of them, but they were a lot of fun to hang out with and get to know a little bit.  My friend Barbara was one of them, so it worked out nicely too :)

17.  The Staff and Volunteer Party.
There are so many people involved that they held the party at the Phoenix.   Massive amounts of people in a giant dance party, celebrating a successful fest!

Overall working at TIFF was one of the best jobs I've ever had in my live.  Great people, amazing films and such perks!  I miss it.
At least I have loads to scrapbook :)

3 comments:

  1. Holy damn am I jealous! I got to enjoy TIFF a bit when I was in Toronto, saw some cool films/people I wouldn't otherwise have a chance to, but to have a full 12 days of it must have been a hell of an experience.

    And you got a smile from Agent Coulson! I might have fainted. Though to be fair, I'm sure I enjoyed those movies a lot more than you did/would've. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not so much a fan of the Avengers - wanted to be, but meh. What other one was he in?

      Delete
    2. Hey, it's cool. That movie was custom engineered for me to enjoy specifically, and I don't expect everyone else to fall in with that. ;)

      He was also in both Iron Man movies and Thor.

      Delete

thank you for leaving a comment! i love to know what you think :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails